As a home buyer or seller, you have many important decisions to make. Perhaps none is more important than choosing to work with a Realtor®—and even more importantly, choosing the right real estate agent to represent you throughout your home purchase or sale!
Why to Hire a Realtor®
First, let’s talk about why it is important to work with a real estate professional. You may be focused too much on the cost of hiring a Realtor® and not enough on the benefits of having a real estate expert in your corner. The reasons for hiring a real estate agent are similar to why you would want to hire a lawyer for legal issues or go to your doctor for medical assistance. They are specialists in their fields. A Realtor® is a licensed real estate professional who is focused on helping clients buy and/or sell real estate.
The truth is, a qualified agent knows the process inside-and-out and will handle many things that most buyers and sellers don’t ever have to worry about. Examples include:
- Anticipating what things can go wrong and correcting course to avoid potential issues before they happen.
- Managing the timing of all documentation needed throughout the process.
- Effectively marketing a listing through the MLS and other marketing resources.
- Providing contingencies that will help protect the buyer or seller.
- Preparing attractive purchase offers for buyers or reviewing offers to sellers make the right home selling decisions.
Your Guide Throughout the Real Estate Journey
These are all important steps in the real estate process that an experienced real estate professional will help you navigate. They are there to protect your best interests throughout the transaction and help you make sound financial decisions. Quite simply, a Realtor® will essentially pay for him or herself by providing industry expertise and resources you won’t have access to if trying to buy or sell a property on your own.
Another thing to remember is how the real estate agent and their brokerage get paid. It is not a big upfront cost out of your pocket. They only get their commissions when the sale is complete and the fees are taken out of the sales proceeds before you get your final payout as the seller. And for buyers, there’s almost no reason not to hire a buyer’s agent because their commission is basically paid by the seller!
What to Look for in a Realtor®
If you are hiring a real estate agent to help you with your home purchase or sale, you’ll want to find one that is best for you. There are certain things you will want to look for in a Realtor®—not just in terms of experience and knowledge, but also someone who you are comfortable working with and confident will provide you with the guidance you need.
Here are a few qualities to seek out when hiring a real estate agent:
- Proven knowledge and experience in your specific market.
- Has your best financial interests in mind.
- Gives you a feeling of trust and confidence.
- Will be available for you 24/7.
- Know the area where you are buying/selling (school districts, traffic patterns, local businesses, etc.)
- Have good relationships with other real estate agents/brokers, as well as a network of professional service providers (home appraisers, home inspectors, mortgage lenders, maintenance companies, contractors, title representatives, etc.).
Helping You Make the Right Real Estate Decisions
A home is the biggest investment you will ever make. It’s a place where you raise your family, create so many memories and build your wealth portfolio. Whether you are buying or selling, you have to make smart decisions. Having a good real estate agent on your side will give you many advantages that should far outweigh any costs associated with hiring them. You want a qualified professional working with you, and it’s just as important to find a Realtor® who you can trust.
If you are buying or selling a home in the Southeastern Pennsylvania or Northern Delaware areas, contact The Cyr Team today. We’re not just one great real estate agent, but a whole family team working on your behalf to help you make the most of your home purchase or sale. We’ll be happy to schedule a no-obligation consultation with you, so you can decide if we’re the real estate team you want on your side.